child custody in pakistan

Child custody in Pakistan / Guardianship & Right to Visit.

The Law considers a child as a minor. Who is mentally and physically weak to safeguard his interests, in regard to their person and property. Therefore, the guardian courts takes responsibility to protect the rights of children. Child custody in Pakistan refers to the parents right, to raise and care for, covers the responsibility to take decisions regarding the child. The main responsibility of parent is to take all decisions. Which includes the child’s basic needs of health, education, religious upbringing and welfare.

Primary consideration is the welfare of child.

The love parents have for their children, cannot be measured. It is like no other relationship. Therefore, father or mother of the child or children, can not live without them. They try to get child custody or guardianship certificate of child or children at any cost. In case of custody of a child or guardianship, primary consideration is protecting the child’s interests.

Mother of the minor is considered as a God cradle on earth. Therefore, in most of the case she is awarded to continue the child custody of minors. Especially, where minors are suckling babies. As a result, custody of minor child in Pakistan belongs to the mother. Whereas in some cases custody of minor child is awarded to father. Besides, the guardianship of property and marriage belong to the father but it is not in every case. In Pakistan, there are cases where the guardian court awarded guardianship to the mother.

A parent having custody of child can continue. Unless, there is immediacy of threat to the interest and welfare of child in continuing the custody. There are a few cases of child custody in Pakistan, where custody of minor is shifted from one parent to the other.

Get expert advice related to your matters. Ask your question for best legal advice. It’s FREE. Type your question in the COMMENTS section below. Moreover, you can Contact on Whats-App for immediate response. Or scroll down to read complete details. 

Going through Guardianship or child custody.

If you are going through a child custody, guardianship or guardianship certificate dispute in Pakistan. You should be aware of the basic aspects of Child custody laws in Pakistan. You must have an understanding of how the process works.

What is Guardianship in Pakistan.

Guardianship in Pakistan means the guardian of a child. A guardian is appointed by the guardian court of Pakistan. According to The Guardian and Wards Act, 1890, a guardian is defined in section 4 sub section 2 of the Act guardian. He is the one who takes care of the person’s  minor or his property, or both. Therefore, within the Act, guardianship is considered to include the concept of custody as well.

Dispute on rights to visit minor during child custody in Pakistan.

The dispute of child custody or guardianship in Pakistan, start on non legal marriage separation of husband and wife. But after divorce or khula all of theses issues may become practical. Right of child custody turns into in very serious issue. To settle the issue, the child custody laws of Pakistan and the Guardian court gets involved. Neither of the parents want to leave his child due to love and affection.

Major dispute.

One of the major dispute during child custody in Pakistan is visitation of rights. Traditionally, after a divorce or khula husband and wife become worst enemies of each other. Either husband or wife, the custodian, does not allow the right to visit to the other. Right to visit the minor are only granted to the non custodial parent. Therefore, it is bounden duty of Guardian court of Pakistan to grant the right to visit and maintain equilibrium between father and mother.

Personality disorder of child.

Psychologically any disassociation or deprivation of fatherly or motherly love and affection may likely cause split personality disorder. Which is highly injurious to the future and upbringing. Most of the time, during the case of child custody, the guardian court may lay down a visit schedule. Therefore, a parent whose application of interim or permanent custody is dismissed. He is granted the right to visit, and meet his or her minor child once or twice a month, for one or two hours, within guardian court premises.

Types of Custody in Pakistan.

Always hire a qualified child custody Lawyer.  Who is an expert family lawyer in Pakistan. Moreover, who is well aware of family and Guardian Laws. There are two basic aspects relating to the Child custody in Pakistan. Firstly, permanent child custody. Secondly, temporary child custody in Pakistan.

Permanent Child Custody in Pakistan.

In this type of child custody case, the minor lives permanently with the one. The father or mother or with any other maternal or parental relative. This kind of child custody in Pakistan is given by the family court. In concern to where the child is living. After the hearing, and with the evidence of the witness court allows the permanent child custody.

online marriage in Pakistan

Marriage Certificate

Get marriage certificate on just a phone call. Moreover,..Read More.

International Divorce Pakistan

Divorce Certificate

Procedure to get divorce certificate...Read More.

unmarried certificate

Single Certificate

Single certificate is also known as unmarried certificate...Read More

Legal advisor in Pakistan

Legal Advisor

For expert legal advice realted to matters.....Read More.

Hizanat in Pakistan (age of child).

As per law, the mother to retain the custody of the male child till age of seven. If the child is female then to age of puberty as prescribed in the Guardian & Wards Act 1890. But, this is not decided. As there are many other grounds, which are considered at the time of permanent custody. For example, the welfare of the minors, second marriage of the mother / father, death of the mother or father. Furthermore, maintenance of the minor, character of the mother or father, wish of the minors are major concerns.

Temporary Child Custody in Pakistan.

The temporary custody of minor is called interim custody. Which is given under section 12 of the Guardian & Ward Act 1890. By the court to any spouse either father or mother, till the decision of the permanent custody case. Generally this kind of custody is given to the mother as she is right for Hizanat and under Islamic law. Mother has the right to get Hizanat. However, father can also apply for this custody on some grounds. Like the absence of the mother. Besides, suckling child custody must go to mother even though her character is doubtful.

Meeting Child Custody in Pakistan.

It is a very rare child custody case in Pakistan. The right of the parents to meet with the minor. Both father and mother apply for meeting with the child. If either one has no custody or guardian court is unable to handover the permanent custody. Moreover, if the case of permanent custody is pending in court. The guardian court can allow any of the parents to meet the child.

Meeting can take place, which the guardian court considers fit, considering both parties. Meeting can occur in the guardian court, at the house of the any party or in the office of a counsel. This meeting can be held after seven days, fifteen days or after one month, the way guardian court may find fit and proper. Besides, on Eid days or in vacations, the guardian court can grant the meeting with the minor for more than one day.

Legal Child Custody in Pakistan.

Legal child custody means having the right and the obligation to make decisions about a child’s upbringing. A parent with legal custody can make decisions about schooling, and medical care etc. This kind of custody is award by the guardian court after the proper hearing of the case. And generally it goes under section 25 of the guardian and Ward Act 1890.  As per guardian court decision both the spouse are bound to retain to decision. This legal custody can be given for specific period, like for the specific age of the ward.

If one parent has the child custody.

only one parent is given sole legal child custody. Then the parent can make all decisions relating to the child or children without consulting the other parent. There may be various degrees of custody depending on the nature of case. For example, a parent may have legal custody but they may also have to consult the other parent or to inform prior to any decision being made.

However, it is quite common that one parent will have the decision making authority. In order to, avoid a situation where the parties will become deadlocked and can’t reach a decision.

Illegal Child Custody in Pakistan.

If a mother or father illegally takes the custody or snatches the custody of the minor without the will and wish of the other party or against the guardian court’s decision. This is called illegal custody. And the illegal child custody in Pakistan can be taken back by the guardian court by filing contempt of court or filing habeas corpus Petition, under section 491 in the session court or Honorable High Court. The court will recover the minor and  handover to the party who has legal rights for custody.

 Advice as Professional Family Lawyer in Lahore.

As a professional family lawyer, I advise that parents should accept, that the needs of a child come prior. Therefore do not make a stand on your wish. Mostly, parents do not want the other parent to take custody. In fact, they fail to look upon their own shortcomings. Emotions can run high in child custody dispute. But the actual decision of child custody case must be based on the facts. Parents should not compare custody cases of other’s that they deem similar.

If a divorce is inevitable.

If there is an inevitable divorce. It is important that parents work out a child custody arrangement first. They should set how the parties will approach child custody and visits. Although the guardian courts can order a custodial arrangement. An agreement reached directly by the parents, is a best chance to work out, rather than being forced by the court.

79 thoughts on “Child Custody In Pakistan”

  1. Assalamalaykum!! I am from Philippine and my husband from Pakistan I am here now in pakistan and my husband he is in dubai to work,I am staying here in Pakistan with ny son now I want to go to Philippine in my country and my husband not allowing me to take my son with me..what should I do?? Can you please give me advise..thank you so much.

    1. I am a 23 year of old student, we have four brothers and one sister, my most elder brotger age is 32, there is a issue, that we don’t know how to solve it, My father age is 59 and mother age is almost 50 now they have marital problem due to my father’s personality disorder, and due to his infedality, agression, munipulation and violation my mother doesn’t want to continue this relationship further more she needs khula, how can we help our mother and to whom we shall live, if we want to live with our mother is it possible? What family law says about it tell me in detail.

      1. you all are adults, hence can make your own decisions and neither parents will seek custody of kids, given the age. your sister’s maintenance shall be due on your father up until she gets married. rest of you are responsible for your own maintenance, since ya’ll are sons

  2. Hi I’m pregnant and I’m planning on taking Khula please guide regarding Child custody in such case and can I take khula while in family way??

      1. is wife/women has right to claim expenses after taking khula or what will happen if a husband/man didn’t to leave her please?

    1. Asslamualikum 3 nabaligh bachyon ka bap fot ho jay to un ki jaydad ka guardian Kon ho ga aur us ko kia ikhtyarat hasil hon gy

  3. 1 baby girl born and her father divorced her mother when she was only 4 years old. and she was living with her mother.
    her mother got married after 2 years and she started living with her maternal grand mother . Her father got married after 4 months. both parties went to court for custody of minor. After 1 year with concent of both families the family judge gave custody of girl to maternal grand mother and or dered that her father can meet after every 15 days for afew hours. and she cannot stay night with her father.
    meeting continued till today.
    now the girl don”t want to meet her father. her Age is 14 years.
    what law says About this?

  4. Sir.
    Sister married guardian ho sakty ha for brother is mentally disabled and father died and mother agreed ha nominated karny k lea

  5. Hi I’m pregnant and want to get khula. Do I need to appear before court in khula process?
    And how time it takes to get the khula process done?

  6. Assalamualikum!
    This case is about the custody of a child. After getting Khula from the court, the father filed a suit of the custody of the kid ( 6 years daughter ) during one n a half year duration he never paid any expense of her, the kid got scared because of the abusive relationship and did not want to meet her father. As per her mental state mother also does not want her kid to meet with him. She takes care of her child as always, from her studies to basic necessities. The child is now completely settled and starts enjoying her life after 1.5 years of trauma. What could be the decision? On the other hand, the father continued filing suits as he threatened her he would not let her live calmly. He filed a suit of recovery of cash amount, jewelry, etc which is obviously a fake case. The mother is not financially strong enough to stand against all these incriminations. She simply wants to move on and live a peaceful life with her daughter. Is there any solution to this situation?
    Looking forward to hearing from you.

  7. My friend wants to get khula from her abusive husband.He lives abroad.But she is in Pakitan.They have 2 kids.They have 12 years son and daughter is 10 years.She doesnt want to give the kids to him